We advertise several Junior Professional Officer (JPO) opportunities on our career page at www.unhcr.org/careers under 'international vacancies'.
Procedures and Eligibility
This vacancy is advertised in the frame of the US JPO Programme and is only open to candidates with US nationality.
Duties and Qualifications
UNHCR is currently managing and coordinating refugee operations in 2 refugee camps in Sahel Region of Burkina Faso. The 2 refugee camps of Goudoubo and Mentao are currently hosting around 14,500 refugees, in addition to 9,500 Malian refugees living outside of the camps. According to the last BIMS oepations, the total number of Malian refugees living in Burkina Faso is 24,000.
UNHCR supports over 12 partners (UN agencies, government, international and national NGOs) to implement the on-going refugee operation.
UNHCR Burkina Faso is now focus in self-reliance and resilience of Malian refugees who arrived in the country in 2012 as there is no great improvement in the situation in Nothern part of Mali and many refugees will surely stay in the country for long time.
To respond to the new challenges, UNHCR's technical unit is currently in the process of adjusting to the changing field situation and strategic direction and strengthening its livelihood, resilience and self-reliance activities.
The Associate Livelihoods Officer (JPO) will work with the Assistant Livelihoods Officer and Senior Livelihoods Assistants as well as a Livelihoods Assistant (NUNV) in the operation. The technical unit provides technical support and monitoring capacity to all UNHCR implementing partners responsible for the provision of food assistance, nutrition support and livelihoods interventions. The incumbent is expected to be a key member of the technical unit assisting the Program Officer to provide technical support and guidance in the area of responsibility. The incumbent would be expected to be able to work with little supervision.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer :
1) Programme development and coordination
- Design programmes that enhance opportunities to strengthen beneficiaries communities that promote self reliance, livelihoods, livestocks and build resilience to socks and response capacity.
- Contribute to develop sytems and tools for evaluation and assessment of livelihood activities
- Ensure that high quality standards are applied to achieve intented impacts in livelihoods
- Support the development of refugees¿ income generation activities and self-reliance capacities.
- Establish contacts with private and public sector e.g. development donors, state run institutions, universities, social enterprises, etc. to engage them in trainings around livelihoods, establish referrals, and outline linkages.
- Establish contacts with the public sector e.g. development donors, state run institutions, etc. to engage them in grants to benefit refugees. Complete grant applications on behalf of refugee groups
- Develop cooperation with selected service providers for referrals and linkages i.e. implementing partners, business training teams and bodies, business development services, financial institutions (including MFIs), etc. at country level.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of the Graduation Approach particularly the work of camp-based coaches.
- -Contribute to define and promote an integrated vision of providing asssitance through cash transfer and/or voucher modalities to meet UNHCR's objectives.
- Maintain regular contact with the Cash Based Interventions (CBI) section at RO Dakar to ensure appropriate support , lessons learned and best practices.
- Assist in Monitoring and Evaluation activities.
Provide monthly reports on the sector, including statistics.
2) Stakeholder management:
Assistance in defining and managing relationship with key stakeholders related to Livelihoods sectors.
Working closely with camp management to contact skilled artisan refugees, assessing their skills and matching them with available programs.
Assist in procedures and paperwork of forming refugees into associations, and registering these with the necessary local authorities.
- Identify local businesses especially designers and shops who could sustainably source refugee produced goods.
As export markets are defined by HQ DPSM, fulfil administrative tasks of collating products and ensuring handover to export entity in a timely fashion, or helping refugee producers organizing themselves to fulfil this task.
3) Facilitation of legal aspects
Work with Protection staff to ensure that refugees work conditions and payments, at minimum, conform to legal standards.
Ensure that a Framework or Cooperation Agreement with Private Sector, as defined by Legal Aid Section (LAS) is signed by private sector entity hiring or sourcing work from refugees.
Work with Protection staff to facilitate work permits/legal requirements for refugees to work where possible and help with advocacy.
4) Training management
As project grows, define necessary training programs for refugees, in coordination with relevant actors/partners
Define the needs to implement training.
Manage training with implementing partners.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) obtained in a recognised institution (listed under www.whed.net), plus minimum 2 years of relevant professional work experience. An undergradute degree (equivalent of a Bachelor's) plus 3 years or a Doctorate degree (equivalent to a PhD) plus 1 year may also be accepted.
Fields: Economics, or Business Administration or other clearly related fields.
Professional working experience in the management of market oriented development programmes/projects, with a focus on livelihood activities, including programme/project formulation, implementation, evaluation and monitoring.
SKILLS: strong communication, reporting, presentation, and planning skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES.
Completion of specific trainings relevant in function of the position.
- Essential: English, French,
- Desirable: Working knowledge of any other UN language (Spanish, Chinese, Russian or Arabic)