The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in West Africa since 1998. DRC´s aim is to contribute to the peace and stabilisation, protection and promotion of durable solution to crisis-affected populations in the region. The overall strategic objective of the program is: Support peace and stabilization, protect and promote durable solutions to conflict-affected population in Liberia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinée, Burkina Faso and Mali on the basis of humanitarian principles and fundamental human rights.
DRC is open in Burkina Faso since January 2013, Burkina Faso 2 field offices (Dori and Djibo) and a country office in Ouagadougou. DRC’s Burkina Faso programme focuses on community recovery and development with a multisector approach.
About the job
Under the supervision of Country Director, The Head of program delivers operationally and can strategically drive DRC’s programs in Burkina Faso. He/she reports directly to the Country Director and is a member of the Strategic Management Team (SMT).
People Management and internal communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and program cycle management, based on assessment of the critical program improvement needs of the Burkina Faso mission
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in Burkina Faso, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in other regions and HQ
Program strategy and business development
- Ensure the development of sector programme strategy in line with the Burkina Faso programme strategy. Guide Programme Coordinators in the implementation of strategies through collaboration and proactive programme development and implementation
- Develop, disseminate and implement the Burkina Faso programme strategy within DRC team
- Supervise the drafting of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between programme and support teams, including field teams, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with RO/HQ.
- Contribute to the development of a fundraising strategy in line with the Burkina Faso programme strategy
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the Burkina Faso programme strategy and DRC partnership management policy
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
Quality and accountability of the programs
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards, including application and harmonisation across field bases
- Ensure that DRC values and code of conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Assess and improve DRC Burkina Faso’s accountability measures in accordance with DRC’s global Core Humanitarian Standard commitments
- In collaboration with the Program Development and Quality Control Manager and MEAL Specialist, ensure that DRC Burkina Faso implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) across all projects, including that learning is captured, capitalized and used in program design and implementation
- Support the grants team in timely submissions of high-quality donor reports
External relations and representation
Together with Country Director, ensure adequate bilateral representation of DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Min. 5 years’ experience overseas in complex emergencies, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs
- Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field.
- Min. 3 years’ experience in staff management and development
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and English
- Experience in Sahelian country
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Contract length: 12 months
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied position
Start date: May 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Elise KOKORA, Country Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org