Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orien tation, veteran or marital status.
Palladium is recruiting for an upcoming 5-year, USAID-funded activity based in Burkina Faso and Niger. The program will strengthen health systems and service delivery for maternal, newborn, child health, family planning and nutrition. The project will improve leadership, management, governance, human resources, supply chain and information systems. It also will increase access to quality health care that builds resilience of target populations in Burkina Faso and Niger through community-facility linkages.
Palladium is recruiting a Health Finance Senior Advisor who will support an anticipated Health Systems Strengthening and Health Services Delivery Activity for USAID in Burkina Faso and Niger. The position will provide content knowledge, technical assistance, and support for the development and execution of health financing and economics studies, strategic purchasing analyses, benefit package cost and financing assessments for health financing schemes, budgetary and bottleneck analysis at the national and sub-national levels.
Methodologies that may be applied include analysis of resource needs and gaps, cost studies, systematic literature reviews, qualitative or quantitative surveys, governance/regulatory assessments, unit costing, and financial feasibility of proposals for expansion of health programs and risk-pooling schemes. The health financing advisor will provide technical assistance to country policymakers, conduct studies, and write position papers, reports, and technical briefs to inform relevant audiences. The candidate will be required to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and both implement and manage other staff or consultants in carrying them out.
This is a full-time position based in Ouagadougou with travel as needed to Niamey, Niger and the target regions of: Maradi and Zinder (Niger) and the Centre Nord Region (Burkina Faso).
* Provides health financing expertise/technical assistance to national and regional and local activities of the project, working with other technical staff and host country government institutions as per project requirements.
* Provides remote and on-the-ground technical and managerial oversight to specific projects and activities in settings related to areas of core expertise
* Analyze the economic and financial implications of improving access and quality of primary healthcare services
* Provides guidance to the governments of Burkina Faso and Niger and the MOH regarding budgeting, costing, expenditure tracking and related areas
* Coordinates closely with the COP, DCOP, and other project technical advisors to introduce new payment methods and manage health financing and economics related activities
* Provides analytical and evaluative techniques to identify, consider, and resolve health financing policy issues or problems.
* Uses quantitative and qualitative techniques to perform financing and policy analysis tasks.
* Responsible for the development of activity-specific work plans and budgets.
* Participates in and prepares necessary technical and program-related reports, including presentations, white papers, success stories/lessons learned
* Guides and supports research, data collection, policy formulation, training and capacity building efforts in support of project activities and deliverables.
* Ensures quality of services and compliance per project requirements.
* Represents the project in the health financing forums in Burkina Faso and Niger as well as regional forums
* Advanced degree (MA, MBA, MSc, PhD) in economics or health economics with academic specialization in health financing or commensurate work experience in health finance
* At least 5 years of health finance experience
* Sound knowledge of West Africa’s governance and health finance landscape, specific knowledge of Burkina Faso and Niger’s landscape is preferred
* Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research, economic analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, bottleneck analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis
* Knowledge of relevant literature related to topic area
* Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills.
* Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe.
* Ability to respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands.
* Appropriate software skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data, such as STATA, SPSS, or equivalent
* Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences (writing examples may be required)
* Fluency in French required